"The year 2005 brought us a high number of interesting activities and fierce bidding for barf bags at Ebay", says German bagwatcher Gerd Clemens in his monthly report on eBay bagprices:
Especially December was really turbulent with prices never seen before. Maybe this was an indication for more days off from the office because of Xmas, or did some of us squander their money instead of buying Xmas gifts for their beloved family?
- An old bag from British Midland was #1 at a price of GBP 62.64 which is about €91.50. Actual this old one was offered together with an ordinary BM bag. But it is obvious the 18 bids were made because of the older one.
- A newcomer came up as numbers 2 and 3. This was a bag from Armenia namely Armavia Airline, which was founded in 1996. Their first flights took place in 2001. The winner got the bag at €52.10. As the seller had 2 bags more he offered them to the runner up, who took his chance getting it at €51.10, and the third one in this ranking was a lucky loser. He got it offered at €15 but he refused. So another one took it at €15. Three bags for €118: certainly not a bad day for the seller.
- Number 4 in our hit list is a bag from a Spanish airline, Air Madrid, at a remarkable price of €39.20.
- Interflug, the airline from the former GDR comes to auction regularly. This time it was a bag from the early 70s with an additional logo on it, which most of us have not seen before. This was the reason that 5 bidders tried to secure this bag, and the price went up to €25.60, bringing this bag to number 5 in the December ranking.
- At number 6, another European bag at a price of GBP 13.90, which is €20.56, namely Niki's Kids Club bag from Niki Lauda's new airline.
- Omni Air from the USA is still around. Beside some direct sales one aution took place with a starting price at US$ 19.95 equal to €16.83. At this price one bidder took it.
- An American lady started to put her barf bag collection on sale. Some really interesting bags were offered, which attracted the interest of most of us. That's why prices went up, so for a bag from LAN Chile up to €15.80, which was rank number 8.
- For an older bag from Japan LAL Airlines €13.92 was paid, which was rank # 10.
- At rank # 9 a bag from Kuwait Airways which was used as a letter. This made it interesting bringing price up to GBP 10.54 equal to €15.40.
The further ranking is as follows:
- # 11: A bag from Ecuador ICARO Airline at €13.60 with 12 bids.
- # 12: Another bag from South America, AVENSA from Venezuela at €13.26.
- # 13: Hawaiian Airlines is still around, this time at €13.03.
- # 14: An older bag from Monarch Airlines a carrier from the UK at GBP 7.75 equal to €11.50.
- # 15 is not an barf bag from an airline but a promo airsick bag from Disneyland's Star Wars ride at €11.14. I consider to exclude these types of bags from this list in future.
- # 16: a bag from a Chinese airline named Jian Su Kuailu Motor Transport, which will be known to most of us?! The bag is very special as it is totally transparent, making the content visible after usage. Price came up to €11.00, for the bag of course.
- # 17 and #18 are 2 bags from Portugal, namely the new bag from TAP with logo in green at €10.30 (but prices have gone down in the meantime), and from a charter airline named White at a price of €10.
These are the results for single bags during December.
Normally I do not care about auctions in which several bags are offered together. For the month December I would like to make an exception as too many interesting autions took place.
- A British seller offered 7 bags from Egypt Air plus 3 bags from Memphis Air. It seems to me that Memphis Air, a small local airline which operates from Cairo to Abu Simbel, was so attractive and rare that price climbed to GBP 83.10, equal to €121.43 a really remarkable aution.
- In another auction a lot of 180 air sickness bags from all over the world were on sale. Especially some offers were made by bidders who wanted to boost their collection in one go. The final bid was made at US$ 110.50, equal to €93.45.
- Very special was the offer for bags which comprised 2 times Eco Air International, 3 times EMC and one bag from Air Algerie. The auction closed at €42.31.
- Also an interesting bid for 3 bags in total was made for new style Syrianair, Bellview from Nigeria and JAL, which came up to €34.
And finally there were the 4 curious auctions for Virgin Atlantic sick bags. The seller claimed that total sales price would be donated to Virgin Unite, which is the independent charitable arm of the Virgin Group. None of the names that normally appear on the list of bidders for sick bags took part in these auctions.
Even though this bidding was quite abnormal, it is interesting to know the results:
- For a limited edition boxed set of 20 bags with the Design for Chunks it was GBP 155, equal to €230 and GBP 75.41, equal to €110.
- For the Limited Edition with the 4 Star Wars sick bags, GBP 56 (€81.76) and GBP 31 (€45.26) respectively were spent.
This was all what I could find during December 2005. The year 2006 has started very slowly, and it seems to me that some have to recover from high spending at the end of last year. Or maybe their wives have become aware what they have spent before.